Millikin swings in 50 years of great Jazz

As Millikin University prepares for it’s 50th year of jazz concert, students hope it will turn out to be a smooth production.

Alex Kidd, a sophomore commercial music majors tells us what he is looking forward to with the upcoming concert.

“I am excited about sharing a concert with people that made Millikin jazz into what it is today,” says Kidd.  “We have a tradition of having an excellent jazz program and these people evolved this program into excellence over the years. Needless to say I am excited to get everyone together.”

The 50th Year of Jazz concert involves the singing group, One Voice and Millikin University’s very own Jazz band. There are eight of Millikin’s best singers in One Voice and the Jazz band has 16 of its best jazz musicians. Along with One Voice and the Jazz band, the concert also features some of the alumni of Millikin University. Kidd explains that some of these alumni have not been back to Millikin University in over 50 years.

After North Texas University and the University of Illinois, Millikin University was the third school in the nation to put together a Jazz program. Every year Millikin has a Jazz concert at the local Westminster Church but this one is especially important since it is the 50th anniversary.

The concert will be held at 7:30 p.m.  Saturday.  The Millikin Jazz band, Jazz combo and One Voice have been given outstanding remarks at the Elmhurst Jazz Festival. The Millikin Jazz Band has performed at the 2013 J.E.N. National Conference in Atlanta.

One Voice has performed in both San Diego and New York City at the IAJE Conventions. The Director of One Voice is Dr. Stephen Widenhofer.

Jessica Golden, a senior Bachelor of Arts Music major says that One Voice is so fortunate to have a professor like Dr. Widenhofer. Alex Manfredo, a junior Commercial Music major also says that Dr. Widenhofer isn’t afraid to push her in order to get the best possible music out of her.

The director of the Jazz Band is Randy Reyman. Kidd says that he is a mentor and a friend and he continues the excellence of the program through not only his direction but also his compositions.

Students of Millikin University’s Jazz Band and One Voice are looking forward to the 50th Year of Jazz Concert.

Manfredo is involved in both the Jazz Band and One Voice and she is very excited to preform for all of the alumni and peers that will be in attendance. Students are looking forward to seeing all of the alumni that made this program into what it is today. Millikin University’s School of Music continues to impress its students and patrons everyday and students hope this concert will be no exception.