Softball Looking to Finish Strong

This season has seen many accomplishments for the Big Blue Softball team, such as fighting to keep a top spot in the conference, overcoming weaknesses and acclimating to a new coach. The team has had numerous games since the beginning of the season and, they are looking to finish the regular season strong, with the conference tournament looming nearer.

The Big Blue softball team has looked to be a top contender this year, and the goal has been unfolding before them, but not without a few obstacles. According to head coach Amber Dohlman, the weakness so far this season have been, “their defense.”

“We saw this early on, but we have been able to get on the dirt and improve it quickly. Injuries have also been a weakness for us. We took a tole in the beginning.”

Seeing these issues early on was a good thing, as the team was able early in the season to work to improve the areas needing more work. The hard work and dedication put into improving the team has payed off and, they are only getting better with every game.

Dohlman named hitting as the team’s strength. “It is keeping us in the game, especially against the top teams we have played.”

From the beginning of the season in Florida to the last couple games of the regular season, the hitting has been strong. The first few games in Florida opened up the hitting strong with the powerhouses of Millikin’s softball team showing what the Big Blue has for other teams to defend, and the hitters of the Big Blue keep delivering.

The leaders this season have been the seniors of the team. Dohlman shared that, “Four seniors are leading the team. They were established when I came in as a coach, they have significant playing time and they are contributing to the team the most.” The seniors will continue to lead the team and help bring the group together during the last few games of regular season. Not only do they lead the team now, but the seniors will continue to do so in hopes of making a strong push for a playoff spot and a playoff run after regular season.

As Dohlman comes close to finishing her first year as head coach, she has reflected on her coaching and expectations. As the first year regular season soon comes to a close,  Dohlman shares that, “It is going good, I am lucky enough to come into a program that is already established.”

In terms of expectations, Dohlman said, “it has been what I expected and the horizon looks bright for the program.”