Women’s basketball with Lori Kerans

The women’s basketball team is slowly wrapping up their season, yet they continue to work hard, fight hard, practice hard and make a statement that they will not give up. They have not had the best season to date, but the women on the team and coach Kerans will agree that there was still a lot of growth throughout the season. Some expectations were set and met while others are still a work in progress, but the program is still on the move. With the team still working hard and focusing on the areas that can be “controlled” as head coach Lori Kerans puts it, they will finish out the season strong.

How have your expectations held up throughout the season?
My expectations that Millikin women’s basketball players compete with dignity and class, represent the university and her family with grace and proudly “wear the blue” were met.  This was a difficult season in the “results” or outcome column; in fact the worst in my tenure as the head women’s basketball coach.  However, I am confident that the women on the team this season will agree with all those who have been a part of the previous 42 seasons of women’s basketball at Millikin — “wearing the blue” is a choice and a privilege; intercollegiate athletics provide a wonderful complement to the outstanding learning environment provided by our faculty and staff.  Athletics merge learning and teaching, work ethic and passion, abilities and experiences.  We are proud to be Big Blue!

What are you doing to finish out the season strong?
We are continuing to prepare our team as a whole as well as the individuals as if every game is the one game we must have to get to the championship level.  We work every day to create winning habits and attitudes. That work begins in the recruiting process, throughout the pre-season, and continues right on through the last game of the season.  We are attempting to focus on those areas we can control:  effort, affect, attitude, communication and hustle.

What was your top highlight for the season so far?
The highlights of this season have been watching the growth in the individual students, in the classroom, on our campus, and on the court.  One of the reasons I enjoying coaching is to have a front-row seat in watching the maturation process of not only a four-year period (freshman to senior), but also during the course of a single season. On Feb. 15, I am confident these young woman are more mature as people and basketball players than on our first day of practice on Oct/ 15.

Another highlight of this season was the team’s trip to New Orleans during the semester break.  Players, coaches, and family members enjoyed an opportunity to not only play basketball, but to also experience New Orleans, a first for many of the people on the trip.  The history, people, architecture, food, music, art and culture were amazing. The walking food tour allowed us to experience the history and palette of the city; the House of Blues Gospel Brunch was an amazing experience, the Swamp tour allowed us the opportunity to be up close and personal with real alligators, and the hotel we stayed in was the same hotel the Baltimore Ravens stayed in during the Superbowl.  Of course, a trip to New Orleans isn’t complete until you taste the coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde.

Who have been some leaders that have really stood out and led your team throughout the season?
I am very proud of the leadership provided by our captains and upper-class students.  Captains Olya Cholewick, Brittney Gallivan and Bria Williams have worked hard to lead and support this team.  The team is blessed to have Nikki Tipsword and Brittany Czaplicki also providing outstanding leadership.  These five student athletes have set the standard for the program this year.