Faculty Sampler Recital

On Thursday, Sept. 5, at 2 p.m., a Faculty Sampler Recital took place in Kaeuper Hall. The first recital of every semester is a great way to see the music teachers perform with their instruments of choice.

Dr. Stephen Widenhofer opened the recital by reminding everyone that Thursday recitals are a great way to get recital attendance out of the way early in the semester. He also reminded everyone about Amanda Puckett’s memorial service that was to be taking place that night.  Professor Georgia Hornbacker explained the routine of Thursday recitals and the proper etiquette. The members of Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, the women and men’s music fraternities, are the backstage helpers for every Thursday recital. Abigail Karnes and Kelly Cailteux were the Sigma Alpha Iota members that helped. Christian Wilkey was the Sinfonian that helped.

The first performer was Professor Tina Nicholson, who is the oboe instructor, as well as the theory teacher. She played “Three Folksongs from the Csík District” by Béla Bartók, and was accompanied by Dr. Silvan Negrutiu. The first part was very legato and the second part was more dance-like.

Dr. Chung-Ha Kim played “Prelude in B-flat Major, Op. 23, No. 2” by Sergei Rachmaninoff. She played it beautifully. Dr. Kim is a piano instructor, as well as the Class Piano Coordinator. Dr. Elizabeth Shoemaker, the bassoon instructor, played the first movement of “Sonata for Bassoon and Piano” by André Previn. Dr. Bruce Gibbons accompanied her.

The next piece was “Les Feuilles Mortes” by Joseph Kosma and Jacques Prévert. Dr. Christopher Reyman played the piano and Professor Chris Nolte, the commercial bass instructor, played bass. It had a very jazzy feel to it.

The next performance was Dr. Silvan Negrutiu’s debut performance with a piano solo. He performed Alberto Ginastera’s “Danzas Argentinas, Op. 2.” He performed three movements. He really got into the music as he played. After he was done, the audience clapped for so long that he had to come out to bow again.

Dr. Solomon Baer, the clarinet instructor, performed one movement of “Sonata for Clarinet and Piano” by Camille Saint-Saens. Dr. Bruce Gibbons accompanied him.

The last group to perform was Professor Randall Reyman on trumpet, Dr. Perry Rask on saxophone and Dr. Stephen Widenhofer on piano. They played “Can’t We Elope” by Russell Ferante. This also had a very jazzy feel to it. It was a fantastic way to end the concert.
Each teacher played beautifully and seemed to have a great time doing it. It was truly a joy to watch.